CentraRSE (Centro para la Acción de la Responsabilidad Social Empresarial) was created in 1998 when the World Bank and the Guatemalan Council of Private Foundations formed a committee of business leaders to discuss business social responsibility (BSR). The group began assessing the conditions in the Guatemalan business climate by approaching organised business groups, studying BSR trends and gathering information available worldwide on BSR. The goal was to identify the best initiatives and the most innovative tools available and to develop a local BSR concept based on current needs. CentraRSE began operating in April 2013.
With more than 100 member companies from 20 different productive sectors, representing 30% of the country’s GDP and employing more than 160,000 workers, CentraRSE has become the most important coalition of companies committed to BSR in Guatemala and more broadly in Central America. CentraRSE is also a founding member of the Central American CSR network INTEGRARSE.
- 100 companies.
Shared Members with WBCSD
- (9) Bayer, DuPont, EEGSA-EPM, Kimberly Clark, Nestlé Group, PepsiCo, Unopetrol Guatemala (Shell Guatemala), Siemens, Syngenta.
Building the Business Case
- Provides support for strategic alliances across sectors.
- Compiles case studies and collects and shares communication strategies with stakeholders.
- Conducts studies on the current economic climate and CSR needs, and disseminates the results.
- Helps member companies benchmark their practices against successful business cases in Guatemala and around the world.
- Organises conferences and economic sector-based meetings on the latest CSR trends including courses, lectures and workshops with local and international experts on CSR.
- Hosts an annual CSR National Summit.
- Offers companies a CSR measurement tool, IndiCARSE ISO 26000, which allows companies to assess the effectiveness or lack of CSR policies and practices.
- Offers individualised advice on sustainable strategies.
- Provides an online CSR platform for member companies to network.
- Has compiled an index of CSR indicators for Guatemala.
- Has compiled an index of CSR indicators for SMEs.
- Makes available specialised tools for the implementation of CSR strategies by economic sector and topic.
- Has prepared a country report on current CSR practices and sustainability status.
- Action2020-related Activities
- Developed an Eco-efficiency program to promote an eco-efficiency strategy for business.
Basic Needs and Rights
- Supports a sustainable multisector multistakeholder dialogue as a tool to prevent socioeconomic conflicts.
- Zero Poverty project: Provides methods to help companies successfully manage their role in eradicating poverty.
- Promotes a multisector approach to reincorporating vulnerable groups, especially returning migrants and women.
- In the process of developing an inclusive business project.
- Government Engagement and External Collaboration
- Participates in the regional Central American CSR organisation, ConvertiRSE.
- Collaboration with Global Network Partners
- Costa Rica
- El Salvador
Global Network Collaboration