The Business Environment Council (BEC) has been at the forefront of advocacy for Hong Kong’s sustainable development since 1989. Founded by businesses for businesses, BEC provides a platform for promoting the uptake of best practices, building capacity and facilitating partnerships among businesses, governments and communities in the transition to a low carbon economy.
BEC works to advocate for sustainable development and to promote the uptake of clean technologies and practices that reduce waste, conserve resources, prevent pollution and improve corporate environmental and social responsibility.
- 60 companies.
Shared Members with WBCSD
- (2) CLP, Shell.
Building the Business Case
- BEC is heavily invested in knowledge building around sustainability in Hong Kong and engages in in funded research and the development of policy recommendations.
- Works to ensure that community outreach is addressed by engaging in sustainability award programmes and developing educational and training programs.
- Works with business to ensure sustainability by developing sustainability toolboxes, establishing benchmarks, offering assessments and consulting on environmental management systems.
- Organises the annual EnviroSeries Conference to bring attention to issues connected with sustainability.
- Action2020-related Activities
WBCSD looks forward to strengthening BEC’s ties with Action2020 and working towards a further commitment to two Priority Areas in 2014.
- BEC hosts the Climate Change Business Forum (CCBF).
- Collaboration with Global Network Partners
Global Network Collaboration