Founded in 1895, the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) works to create and sustain an environment conducive to the development of India, partnering industry, government and civil society through advisory and consultative processes. CII consists of a network of 63 offices, including 9 Centres of Excellence, in India and 7 overseas offices in Australia, China, Egypt, France, Singapore, the UK, and the United States, as well as institutional partnerships with 224 counterpart organisations in 90 countries. The CII has an indirect membership of more than 90,000 enterprises from around 257 national and regional sectorial industry bodies.
CII’s four Centres of Excellence specialise in different fields of sustainability. They are the CII-ITC Centre of Excellence for Sustainable Development, the CII-Sohrabji Godrej Green Buildings Centre, the CII-Triveni Water Institute and the Food and Agriculture Centre of Excellence. The Centre of Excellence for Sustainable Development is the main arm interacting with the WBCSD.
- CII’s direct membership is 7,100 members.
Shared Members with WBCSD
- (5) Holcim, PepsiCo, ITC, Aditya Birla Group, Infosys.
Building the Business Case
- Working to augment stakeholder engagement in the field of sustainable development through policy advisory and advocacy, thought leadership and action research, recognition services and technical assistance, including capacity building.
- Developing environmental regulatory standards.
- Developing environment management systems.
- Evaluating sustainable business portfolios.
- Action2020-related Activities
The CII’s Climate Change department works directly on domestic and international climate policies and negotiations. It manages a CEO-led Climate Change Council. In addition, the four Centres of Excellence provide climate change mitigation and adaptation services specific to their respective domain areas. The CII’s climate change-related activities include:
- Working on GHG inventory services.
- Conducting energy audits.
- Working on green buildings and helping companies achieve LEED ratings through the CII-Sohrabji Green Buildings Centre.
- Undertaking energy efficiency projects and sectorial studies in partnership with international agencies.
- Evaluating and monitoring energy efficiency projects.
- Developing specific energy consumption (SEC) norms for various sectors.
- Developing and offering services within GreenCo, a green company rating system.
- Conducting research on renewable energy.
Within the CII-Iriveni Water Institute, the CII is working on:
- Industrial water audits.
- Water audits and feasibility studies in the municipal sector.
- Water conservation projects in commercial buildings.
- Development of rainwater harvesting concepts.
- Facilitating implementation of a “zero water discharge” policy.
- A water footprint study.
- A blue rating of companies to assess water efficiency.
- Benchmarking studies on water utilities.
Food, Feed, Fibre and Biofuel
Within the CII-Jubiliant Bhartia Food and Agriculture Centre of Excellence, the CII is working on:
- Food safety and quality.
- Sustainability in food and agriculture value chains.
- The CII is working on sustainable production and consumption within the CII-ITC Centre of Excellence for Sustainable Development.
Exposure to Harmful Substances
- Industrial (hazardous and nonhazardous) waste management.
- E-waste management, biomedical waste management and municipal solid waste management
- The GRI Sustainability Reporting guidelines and the Framework for Integrated Reporting.
- Tools to measure water footprint, biodiversity and social returns on investment.
- Collaboration with Global Network Partners
Global Network Collaboration