Philippine Business for the Environment (PBE) was incorporated in January 1992 to help Philippine businesses address environmental issues.
- 42 companies.
Shared Members with WBCSD
- (10) Bayer, Chevron, Coca-Cola, Dow Chemical Co., Holcim, Phillips, Shell, Siemens, United Technologies Corp.
Building the Business Case
- Manages a Corporate Environmental Training Series as well as a number of other workshops, forums and round table meetings, private sector consultations and stakeholder dialogues.
- Assists companies to implement CSR programmes (such as for water advocacy and education) and community-based information and communication campaigns.
- Organises exhibits, such as the Eco-Product Fair, the Environtech trade fair and the Recyclers’ Exhibition, featuring suppliers of environmental services, clean technologies and industry recyclers.
- Publishes the quarterly Business and Environment Magazine.
Impact through Membership
- Through board members, PBE is involved in a Philippine eco-labelling body cochaired by the Bureau of Product Standards (DTI) and the National Solid Waste Management Commission (DENR) as well as the Partnership for Clean Air.
- Involved in the Philippine Earth Day Network.
- Participates in Philippine Pollution Prevention round tables.
- Involved in the ISO 26000 Philippine Working Group convened by the Environmental Affairs Office to provide input to the preparation of the ISO guidance standard on social responsibility.
- Action2020-related Activities
National Action2020 Plan
- PBE is deeply involved in developing a regional Action2020 South East Asia project and has developed a strong Action2020 national plan which will launch in conjunction with the South East Asian plan.
- Provides GHG accounting and management assistance to companies that want to measure and reduce their carbon footprint through the use of the GHG Accounting Protocol.
- Serves as the Secretariat for the Business Climate Imperative, with support from Holcim Philippines, to promote voluntary industry action to reduce emissions from business operations by mobilising industry groups and partners to identify and lead projects in five key areas: Transport, Energy, Solid Waste, Sustainable Cities and Buildings and Agriculture and Forests.
- Organised the 2011 Business Climate Action Summit.
- Implements the Clean Fleet Management Programme for companies, government agencies and transport operators in partnership with Pilipinas Shell, Honda Cars Manufacturing, Philippines, the Honda Foundation, the Clean Air Initiative for Asian Cities and the Partnership for Clean Air to measure and reduce emissions from vehicle fleets.
- Reefs as Carbon Sinks: Has devised and implemented projects via public partnerships with government
Exposure to Harmful Substances
- Manages the Industry Waste Exchange Programme.
- Government Engagement and External Collaboration
- Implements donor-assisted projects such as the 2010 Green Business with Green Procurement Programme in partnership with the International Green Purchasing Network and funded by the Japan Fund for the Global Environment of the Environmental Restoration and Conservation Agency.
- PBE is among the local partners implementing the European Union-assisted “Green Philippine Islands of Sustainability (GPIOS) Project” with the Austria-based Stenum Center for Appropriate Technology/GrAt and the Czech Republic-based University of Ostrava. Other local partners are the Asia Society for Social Improvement and Social Transformation/ASSIST, the Philippine Chamber of Commerce and Industry and the European Chamber of Commerce in the Philippines.
- Collaboration with Global Network Partners
Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, Taiwan, Vietnam in the development of an Action2020 South East Asia Strategy.
Global Network Collaboration