BCSD Hungary was formed in 2007 as a National Partner of the WBCSD. The mission of BCSD Hungary is to promote sustainable development among its member companies and other actors in the Hungarian economy, thus generating new and innovative thinking to improve companies’ competitiveness while simultaneously contributing to the sustainable development of the economy, the quality of life and preservation of the environment and natural resources.
BCSD Hungary has four active working groups in 2014: Recommendation for Business Leaders, Action2020, Social Capital and Sustainability in the Value Chain.
- 56 companies.
Shared Members with WBCSD
- (17) Allianz, Alstom, EDF Group, Coca-Cola, Denso, E.ON, GDF Suez, Grundfos, Holcim, KPMG, Nestlé Group, Shell, Siemens, Skanska, Toyota, Unilever, Vodafone.
Building the Business Case
- Published “The Complex Interpretation of Corporate Sustainability,” a 2012 report by the Recommendation for Business Leaders group that has since developed into an initiative embraced by 80 companies and their CEOs, which together account for more than 25% of the Hungarian GDP.
- Developed guidelines for corporate leaders and managers to incorporate sustainable development into their decision making.
- Participated in the development of a National CSR Action Plan.
- Organises round table discussions and workshops on various topics linked to sustainable development.
Future Leaders Programme
- In line with the WBCSD Future Leaders Programme, BCSD Hungary’s has developed a Business Leaders group which includes a nine-month programme on sustainability.
- Action2020-related Activities
National Action2020 Plan
- Launched a new program for adapting Action2020 principles to the local context. With the involvement of Hungarian scientists, Action2020 Priority Areas and Societal Must-Haves will be examined for local relevance. In the current phase, the most relevant Priority Areas will be selected and presented to member company CEOs to afford them a better understanding of the problems and aid them in devising possible business solutions. The program as a whole will later be presented to the business community and other stakeholders in November 2014.
- Participating in developing the National Climate Change Strategy.
- Co-organising and participating in the Budapest Water Summit Business Leaders Forum.
- Participating in the development of the National Biodiversity Strategy.
- Government Engagement and External Collaboration
- BCSD Hungary collaborates with Figyelő, the Hungarian Business Leaders Forum (HBLF), the Hungarian Donors Forum, KÖVET Association, Ma & Holnap Magazin, the Swedish Chamber of Commerce in Hungary, the Swiss Chamber of Commerce in Hungary and Transparency International Hungary.
Global Network Collaboration