TERI-BCSD India was set up by The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI) in 2001 with a vision to evangelize and mainstream sustainability in corporate strategy. The business council, over the years, has evolved into a strong industry body, with membership from diverse sectors, including public sector undertakings, multinationals, and private companies from across India. TERI-BCSD works with India Inc. to undertake co-created sustainability projects with a business case to scale the sustainability impact from businesses.
- 75 companies.
Shared Members with WBCSD
- (25) Alcoa, ArcelorMittal, Akzo Nobel, BASF, Bayer, BP, BT, CLP, DNV, DuPont, Eaton, Hitachi, Holcim, ITC, Lafarge, Pepsico, Philips, RIL, Shell, SABMiller, Suez Environnement, Coca-cola, HUL United Technologies, Vedanta, Vodafone.
Building the Business Case
- Created the Chief Sustainability Officers (CSO) Forum. CSO Forum is India’s first ever platform that brings together CSOs of leading Indian corporations to initiate a meaningful dialogue and action plan towards driving sustainable growth in their businesses from the forefront. The CSO Forum is a yearlong engagement of CSOs aimed to facilitate the “business case for sustainability” for the corporate whilst ensuring on-ground implementation of co-created project ideas on issues of materiality for an organisation. Since 2012, corporates have engaged in co-creating projects under the following thematic tracks: 1) Industrial Energy Efficiency; 2) Renewable Energy; 3) Energy Efficiency in Buildings; 4) Water Management; 5) Value Chain Sustainability; 6) Waste Management; 7) Corporate Social Responsibility.
- Organising Chemical Industry Roundtables. The engagement so far with the Indian chemical industry had laid the premise for a collaborative work with the industry to address sustainability issues not only within the company but also with the community and external stakeholders. The roundtable workshops pointed out the need to create training and knowledge sharing modules for the industry to enable internalization of sustainability practices within the industry and its value chain. The workshops also expressed the need to develop a compendium of best practices from the industry as case studies which will be shared amongst industry members.
- Publishes books and periodicals relevant to the corporate sector on environmental management, social responsibility and sustainable development.
- Publishes EnCoRE, a quarterly sustainability magazine with important updates on corporate environmental and social responsibility initiatives, and the Business Insights.
- Leadership Summit for Sustainable Development, TERI-BCSD’s annual flagship event witnesses prominent business leaders come together to discuss strategies for mainstreaming sustainability in their business planning and practice.
- High Level Corporate Dialogue is held as a curtain raiser to TERI’s annual flagship event the DSDS (Delhi Sustainable Development Summit), where international CEOs and policy makers meets to discuss the challenges facing businesses in the context of sustainable development.
- Chief Sustainability Officers’ (CSO) Conclave is an annual convention of Chief Sustainability Officers from across India come together to share their best practices and discuss innovation solution to operationalise sustainability within their organisations.
- Action2020-related Activities
- Works on policy advocacy for Business role in the NAPCC (National Action Plan on Climate Change).
- Capacity building for Corporate GHG Accounting in India. To support and assist the government and industry to meet the low carbon growth goal, WRI, TERI and CII collectively propose to develop an industry-led “India GHG program”. Having garnered support from the 27 Founding Member companies, the India GHG Program cumulatively, GHG emissions to the tune of 265 MT are being managed. The Program aims to achieve the following: 1) Measurement and Management of GHG Emissions become a standard practice, in the pathway to a more competitive, profitable and sustainable business environment; 2) Business sector is adequately engaged with the policy makers, supporting the overall progress and advancement towards national goals; 3) Availability of adequately trained and certified pool of GHG Practitioners, GHG Measurement and Management professionals.
- Addresses issues related to access to energy, such as leveraging clean energy deployment, exploring future energy infrastructure, sources, technologies and energy frameworks.
- Works with resource efficiency in buildings by promoting sustainable habitat and building capacities of companies on optimum energy use in existing and new buildings.
- Is involved in the Action2020 Business Solution on Low Carbon Electrification Of Remote Locations.
- Offers capacity building workshops on the WBCSD Business and Ecosystems Training (BET) programme.
- Understanding and measuring risks and opportunities for companies and developing tools and techniques for water resource management, water conservation etc.
- Organises workshops and webinars on industrial water use efficiency.
- Is involved in the Action2020 Business Solution on Reducing Shared Water Risk.
Basic Needs and Rights
- Works to advance inclusive business models.
- Works to operationalize the UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights.
- Works on value chain projects in manufacturing and services sectors.
- Policy advocacy for responsible business operations and encouraging uptake of Sustainability Reporting among Indian corporates.
- Banking, Financial Services and Insurance (BFSI) engagement.The BFSI engagement focuses on achieving a consensus on incorporating Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) risks within the ambit of lending norms with adequate weightage so that environmentally sustainable and socially responsible projects are given priority and incentive to scale.
- Offers capacity building workshops and webinars on sustainability reporting.
- Is involved in the Action2020 Business Solution on Investing in Natural Capital.
- Government Engagement and External Collaboration
- Recently held a Policy workshop under India GHG Programme with 4 Govt. of India Ministries and 20 industry representatives on GHG Emission in India.
- TERI-BCSD released a White paper on Business role in the National Action Plan on Climate Change (NAPCC).
- Corporate Action Plan on Climate Change (CAPCC) – “Sustainable Tomorrow: Harnessing ICT Potential”. The engagement encompassed pragmatic steps to reduce the footprint of the ICT sector and accelerate adoption of green practices.
- Drafting the recently unveiled National Voluntary Guidelines on Social, Environmental and Economic Responsibilities of Business by the Ministry of Corporate Affairs, Government of India.
- Collaboration with Global Network Partners
- TERI-BCSD has been forthcoming in collaborating with other global network partners. TERI-BCSD has shared its model of engagement with CSOs (Chief Sustainability Officers) in India with the rest of the global network.
- Shared Indian corporate energy efficiency best practices with the GN Partner in Netherlands for De Groene Zaak’s book titled New Economy Business.
Global Network Collaboration