In January 2012 the New Zealand Business Council for Sustainable Development (NZBCSD) merged with BusinessNZ’s Sustainable Business Forum (SBF) to form the Sustainable Business Council (SBC), a preeminent industry body for sustainable development in New Zealand.
- 64 companies and 5 strategic partner members.
Shared Members with WBCSD
- (10) Chevron, GHD Group, ERM, Deloitte, KPMG, Shell, Siemens, Toyota, Vodafone.
Building the Business Case
- SBC hosts meetings, conferences and round tables to discuss issues around Sustainability in New Zealand.
Future Leaders Programme
- SBC runs an annual FLP for 25 emerging leaders drawn from its member companies. The focus of the 2013 programme was youth transition to employment. An FLP alumni group has also been established for participants to stay connected and continue contributing to SBC work programmes.
- Action2020-related Activities
National Action2020 Plan
- Developing a New Zealand Action2020 plan, with a launching event planned for August 2014.
- Ecosystems services and biodiversity: SBC is compiling New Zealand company case studies using the WBCSD’s ESR tool and a New Zealand guide to the issue.
Basic Needs and Rights
- Social license to operate: In partnership with BusinessNZ’s Major Companies’ Group, SBC has published an article entitled “Social License to Operate,” and has published on exemplary practices drawn from the international arena.
- Social role of business: SBC coordinates a programme focused on improving pathways to employment for single-parent youth that explores employer-connected childcare models (lack of childcare at the right time is currently a key barrier to single-parent employment in New Zealand) and improving relationships between business and the nonprofit sector.
- Resource efficiency and the value chain: SBC directs a programme focused on scaling up resource efficiency efforts in areas such as freight, energy use, waste and water use in industrial processes.
- Organising a workshop for MCG and SBC member companies on Integrated Reporting and stakeholder engagement.
- Organised the Valuing Nature Conference.
- Collaboration with Global Network Partners
- Sustainable Business Australia (SBA)
Global Network Collaboration