BCSD Singapore started its activities in January 2013 under the leadership of Apical Group, City Developments, Det Norske Veritas, Pan-United Corporation, Syngenta Asia Pacific and Autodesk Asia. BCSD Singapore works to provide business leadership as a catalyst for change towards sustainable development, and to support the business license to operate, innovate and grow in a world increasingly shaped by sustainable development issues.
- 6 companies.
Shared Members with WBCSD
- (2) Syngenta, Det Norske Veritas.
Building the Business Case
- Works to integrate sustainability into the core of business strategy and operations and increase company competitiveness and reduce risk: BCSD Singapore does this by raising awareness on the latest thinking, trends and initiatives within the area, then building capacity and supporting member companies that wish to implement actionable tools and methods.
- Works to respond to and shape the public policy agenda and frame conditions that affect sustainable development: BCSD Singapore provides input into policy and framework development in collaboration with government agencies. It also provides tools and methods relevant to its members in the region by supporting processes through facilitation, knowledge and information sharing, and by providing expert input from its private-sector network.
- Organises and hosts a number of gatherings addressing corporate leadership on CSR and sustainability, including the following: 1) INSEAD Sustainability Speakers series – regular speaking events targeting full-time MBA students at the INSEAD campus in Singapore, where companies share their sustainability approach and strategies; 2) Responsible Business Forum: BCSD Singapore’s signature annual event; 3) CFO leadership seminar – held in collaboration with CPSL, the seminar draws CFOs from multinational and national companies and a small number of senior policy makers and audit partners.
- Action2020-related Activities
National Action2020 Plan
BCSD Singapore is the initiator and coordinator of the Action2020 in South East Asia, an initiative that aims to:
- Analyse Action2020 Priority Areas and how the global Societal Must-Haves translate in the region.
- Design and host dialogue sessions with key stakeholders at the country level to seek input and alignment on priorities and Action2020 goals.
- Consult, plan and craft work programmes with member companies. Investigate the relevance of business solutions in the South East Asia context.
- Organise Action2020 in South East Asia country reports, and coordinate commitments and actions.
- Consolidate and harmonise country action plans and work programmes.
- Promotes Energy Efficiency in Buildings 1.0, a model developed by the WBCSD to identify the optimum mix of policies and market incentives to significantly increase energy efficiency in buildings.
- Offers the WBCSD Business and Ecosystems Training (BET) programme, which is a capacity-building programme in business and ecosystem services, including workshops covering four different modules.
- Organises workshops on measuring socioeconomic impact, based on the WBCSD’s publication “Measuring Socio-economic Impact: A Guide for Business.” The aim is to help companies measure their socioeconomic impact as part of maintaining their license to operate, thereby improving the business enabling environment, strengthening their value chains and fuelling product and service innovation.
- Government Engagement and External Collaboration
- Green Buildings: BCSD Singapore is a member of Singapore’s International Panel of Experts that reviews green building policies, regulations and measures on sustainability of the built environment.
- Collaboration with Global Network Partners
- Indonesia, Philippines, Vietnam, Malaysia on the development of an Action2020 strategy in South East Asia.
Global Network Collaboration