Forética is the leading business network on sustainability and corporate social responsibility in Spain and Latin America. A non-profit organization, headquartered in Madrid, its multi-stakeholder membership includes more than 200 members including companies – from PLCs to SMEs, academia, NGOs and individuals. More than 120 of its members are companies.
Forética’s mission is to foster a culture of sustainability, responsibility and accountability amongst major companies with the aim of promoting competitiveness and job creation. The underlying belief is that long-term business success has to be coupled with sustainable development and shared value creation.
- Over 200 members.
Shared Members with WBCSD
- (19) 3M, Accenture, Bayer, BT, DHL, DNV, Heineken, Ikea, Italcementi, KPMG, Lafarge, L’Oréal, Michelin, Nestlé, Novartis, Philips, SGS, Unilever, Vodafone.
Building the Business Case
- Guidance and assessment on a wide range of business management issues aligned with social, environmental and governance criteria. This includes CSR benchmarking and strategic positioning; materiality assessments; CSR/Sustainability action plans, policies and strategies; codes of conduct; volunteering; compliance and anti-corruption; equal opportunities, diversity and inclusion; responsible investment.
- Published research and surveys on cutting edge themes. Every second year, Forética publishes a major survey of business and consumer attitudes towards CSR.
- Annual calendar of activities including major conferences, working groups and other visibility and shared learning platforms as well as employer-supported volunteering activities, including the Give & Gain Day and ENGAGE international programmes.
- Forética is the proprietor of the SGE 21 managemnt system certification scheme, recognised by the ISO 26000 guidance standard. Over 100 companies have been certified with the scheme in Spain and Latin America.
- Action2020-related Activities
- Publication of research report and best practice showcase on climate change in Latin America and the Caribbean, in association with the Inter-American Development Bank and major companies in the region.
- Showcase of best practice management solutions on climate change as part of bi-annual “CSR MarketPlace” expo event.
- Signatory to the Spanish Government appeal for Business and Biodiversity and involved in awareness raising activities including setting-up an expert group, publishing best practice and showcasing examples as part of bi-annual “CSR MarketPlace” expo event.
- Publication of two reports on the business case for water management in Spain and Latin America.
Basic Needs and Rights
- Spanish member of the Business and Human Rights Hub within CSR Europe, with other 10 partners across the region. Organised a major workshop on business and human rights in 2013 and a follow-up session scheduled for 2014.
Skills and Employment
- Leading in Spain the implementation of the CSR Europe Enterprise 2020 strategy on Skills for Jobs, calling on business and other stakeholders to promote collaborations aimed at job creation and employability as well as social inclusion through employment.
- Leading in Spain the implementation of the CSR Europe Enterprise 2020 strategy on Sustainable Living in Cities, focused on city-business collaborations aimed at better management of cities as well as better quality of life for citizens in cities.
- Supporting member companies on their approach to extra-financial reporting, elaborating metrics to communicate the impact of non-financial performance and publishing research on transparency and financial valuation.
- Government Engagement and External Collaboration
Forética engages in a very wide collaboration with government and public administration. Some examples include:
- Member of the State Council for Corporate Social Responsibility.
- Member of the Ministry of the Environment’s Spanish Initiative on Business and Biodiversity.
- Member of the Foreign Affairs Ministry Consultative Group on Business and Human Rights.
- Led a working group on “Accelerating CSR in state-owned companies”.
- Engagement around the Enterprise 2020 campaign with the Ministry of Employment, Spanish Agency for Climate Change, 9 regional authorities (Asturias, Cantabria, Castilla y León, Extremadura, Galicia, Murcia, Navarra, Tenerife and Valencia) and 3 cities (Madrid, Málaga and Zaragoza).
- Active membership of organisations including GRI, CSR Europe, Forum Empresa, ABIS, Eurosif, Spainsif, UN Global Compact Network Spain.
- Engagement with several civil society organisations including universities, trade unions, NGOs.
- Collaboration with Global Network Partners
Leading the implementation in Spain of the Enterprise 2020 initiative with several other European GN Partners, which is focused on the key themes of Skills for Jobs and Sustainable Living in Cities.
Global Network Collaboration